Characteristics of Effective Book Reviews
Qualities of an effective Book Review
Open with a “hook.”
- A one to two sentence plot summary – don’t tell the ending!
- The setting and time period
- Descriptions of good things the author did (flashbacks, realistic details, fast pace, hopeful ending, etc.)
- A description of the problem or theme
- A suggestion of who would like the book and why.
How to Survive Middle School by Donna Gephart
Once you enter Harmon Middle School with our main character, David Greenberg, you won't be able to leave! Friends, fights, "wacky" parents and siblings, swirlies, cupcakes and a host of interesting characters and events make this a book that is hard to put down. A "must-read" for hamster-lovers everywhere and fans of the Jon Stewart Daily Show. In addition, a delicious recipe for Bubbe's Jewish Apple Cake makes this read "just yummy!"
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
A delightful, light-hearted read punctuated with just the right amount of humor, mystery, mayhem, magical creatures and romance! You will fall in love with Evie and her supernatural world!